Fourth Weirs Beach Train Station (1940-1986)
1940s linen postcard views of the fourth train station.
The fourth train station was designed by Architect Norman P. Randlett and built in 1940 (its 1893 predecessor burned in 1939). A very plain and unadorned building, built in the post-WWII modernistic style, it was replaced in 1987. Its best feature was its curving, overhanging roof, which gave it an art-deco touch. The stairs on the right side of the building, visible in the color photo, were added later. They led up to a stage on the flat roof of the building where band concerts were held. From this prominent position bands could be heard all over Weirs Beach, although this arrangement left much to be desired in terms of the musicians being seen and interacting with their audience.
At this late 1950’s boat festival, the Uncle Sam approaches the docks from the right, while the Sophie C. approaches from the left. This photo dates as 1956 or later, because the parking meters, visible in the photo, were added during the 1956 season. Scroll down to see a close-up color photo of the bandstand.
A performance on the rooftop bandstand, probably by the Nevers’ 2nd Regiment Band. Date unknown. The back of this postcard reads, “Plenty of color and gaiety everywhere at Weirs Beach, N.H., as shown here in a close up of the Band Stand during a Concert. One of the regular features sponsored by the local Publicity Bureau.”
The fourth train station, built in 1940, did not originally feature a bandstand on its roof, as the following 1940’s aerial photo demonstrates. It is not known exactly when the bandstand was added, but it probably occurred in the early 1950’s, when the original Weirs Beach bandstand at Irwin’s Winnipesaukee Gardens was removed. The original bandstand at Irwin’s can be seen in this aerial photo.