The Public Bandstand at Irwin’s Winnipesaukee Gardens
In this rare old photograph, we see the public bandstand in the right foreground, from the vantage point of the boardwalk from where it descended down to Irwin’s Winnipesaukee Gardens. The footbridge to the bandstand is just off the photo to the right. This photo shows there was an alternate entrance to the bandstand – a set of stairs from the ground level. Beyond the bandstand, the old Mount Washington steamer is docked by the Weirs Cafe.
The bandstand was used as the AMA registration booth during the 1940 Laconia Motorcycle rally.
The bandstand was removed in the early 1950s. Soon after, a new bandstand was built atop the 1940-1987, fourth railroad station.