The Shangri-La

On April 28 , 1970, the Shangri-La was sold to new owners and was renamed the Brickyard Mountain Inn. Ownership of the property changed in 1975, in 1981, and in 2001. Comprising 220 acres in the heart of Weirs Beach, the property was ultimately divided into several parcels. One part became the Village at Winnipesaukee condominiums, another part became Cedar Lodge. Most of the original acreage remained undeveloped until 2004, when the Meredith Bay (formerly known as Akwa Soleil) housing development began construction.

On March 16, 1989, the original Hotel, which had been closed and put up for sale, burned down.

The Shangri-La was formerly the Winnecoette House before extensive renovation and expansion. Click on the link for an extensive look at the Winnecoette House.

Below is an extensive gallery of Shangri-La photos, sourced from various brochures and postcards.

Previous: the Mermaid Lounge at the Shangri-La. The lounge overlooked the L-shaped indoor pool. Following: the Panorama Restaurant. The restaurant overlooked the scenic view of the Lake.

Below, some rare views of the resort during the winter, when it offered “lighted ski slope & skating rink, sleigh rides, ski school, ski shop.” 
Shangri-La ski patch.
Shangri-La ad from the 1956 Weirs Beach Chamber of Commerce booklet.