An 1873 color sketch of this scene by artist John Badger Bachelder can be found on the New Hampshire Historical Society website here. Even earlier views of the scene by Bachelder can be found here (1867) and here (1858).
The same view about 40 years later. Dixon’s Point (indicated with red arrow) was named after James L. Dixon, who at the time owned the entire spit of land, located at the end of Winnisquam Avenue.
Earlier, the same location had been known as Horse Shoe Bend.
Looking right down the mouth of the Winnipesaukee River as it enters Lake Winnisquam. From a stereoview by the earliest Laconia photographer, W.L. Wilder.
At one time or another, the Bay View House, the Vue de l’Eau Hotel, the Ewebin Inn, and the Terrace Hotel occupied the approximate location where these pictures of Dixon’s Point were taken. The Saint Francis Rehabilitation and Nursing Center and the Bishop Bradley Senior Living Community now occupy the location. Because of tree growth in the intervening years, it is not possible today to take a similar photo of Dixon’s point.
The Bay View House was the first hotel in this location, dating from the 1870s. The following photo is from a stereoview by photographer George H. Tebbetts.
The Vue De L’Eau Hotel, the second hotel in this location, opened in April, 1897. The name means “Water View” in French.
The Ewebin Inn was the third hotel in this location.
The Terrace Hotel was the last hotel in this location.
A view of the train pulling into view of Dixon Point and passing by the Winnisquam shoreline in 1911 shortly before arriving in Laconia.
1907 color view of the above scene, no train