When do I need to feed the parking meters?
There are about 220 public parking meter spaces on Lakeside Ave. The meters cost 25¢ per half hour. They need to be fed as follows:
1) From the Saturday preceding the fourth of July (but not later than July 1st) through Labor Day all 2 hour and 5 hour meters are in effect daily.
(2) From the Saturday preceding Memorial Day through Columbus Day (but not including the period described in (1) above):
A) 2 hour meters numbered #142-163 and #121-98 are in effect daily.
B) 2 hour meters numbered #123-141 and all five hour meters are in effect on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays only.
(3) When meters are in effect they are enforced from 10am to 10pm.
There are also about 20 private parking meter spaces. Be careful to feed these also according to the signs, or your car may be towed!
HISTORY OF JEAN’S CAFE and FOURTH TRAIN STATION and ROOFTOP BANDSTAND
In this late 50’s photo (click here to SuperSize [750k]), in addition to the parking meters, one can see a sign for Jean’s Cafe to the left of the photo. Jean’s Cafe (named after its original owner, Jean Tehberg) was a small diner that had replaced the large, “3rd Regiment” Victorian that had been destroyed in the great Weirs Beach fire of 1924. Local businessman Sidney Ames leased the building from the NH Veterans Association from 1951 through about 1980. Every summer Chef Sandy Baroni would return from his winter job as a college cafeteria chef and serve up delicious Italian food; there was a mini-bar seating 4 persons and booth style seating complete with in-wall jukeboxes. Roughly a decade later, the Ames family re-entered the Italian restaurant business when, after purchasing the Winnipesaukee Marketplace building in 1991, they opened the Patio Garden Restaurant.
This train station was designed by Architect Norman P. Randlett and built in 1940 (its 1893 predecessor burned in 1939). A very plain and unadorned building, built in the post-WWII modernistic style, it was replaced in 1987. Its best feature was its curving, overhanging roof, which gave it an art-deco touch. The stairs on the right side of the building, visible in the color photo, were added later. They led up to a stage on the flat roof of the building where band concerts were held. From this prominent position bands could be heard all over Weirs Beach, although this arrangement left much to be desired in terms of the musicians being seen and interacting with their audience.
The above image of the band stand is part of a larger photo. Click here to see the full photo, several more photos of the station, and a photo of a band playing on the rooftop.