The Lochmere dam on November 20, 2008. For more information about the operations of the Lochmere dam, click here. For more information about its “run-of-the-river” hydroelectric power generation capability, click here. The original 800kw hydroelectric facility which had been built here in 1910 by the Laconia Gas & Electric company was retired in 1966. Unlike the Lakeport and Avery dams, there were no significant natural falls at this location prior to the construction of the dam.