Built in 1880 by George W. Weeks, for which Weeks Street is named, the Winnipesaukee Marketplace was originally a hotel, known as the Lakeside House. It was owned by Mr. Weeks from 1880-1912. Edward T. Milton, who owned it from 1913-1925, erected the footbridge in 1917 “to afford easier access to the Lakeside for auto parties”. In the late 1940’s, the name was changed to the Lakeside Hotel (see picture below) by its new father-and-son owners, Albert and Donald Favreau. In 1986, it became the Winnipesaukee Marketplace.
Click here to enlarge the above postcard of the Lakeside Hotel in the 1950’s
Click here to enlarge the above postcard of the Lakeside Hotel in the 1950’s. Note the two stone pillars; they dated back to the early 1900’s, but were torn down around 1998 because they obscured the view of the front lawn of the building from the boardwalk and vice versa.
Above is a May 11, 1985 photo of the Lakeside Hotel, as the Winnipesaukee Railroad train passes underneath the footbridge. A year later, the entire rear of the Hotel would be torn down in the conversion to the Winnipesaukee Marketplace. Click here to SUPERSIZE.
Another brochure with a similar cover, except tinted red, was produced a few years later than the above green tinted brochure. Click here to view.
For a look at a full page advertisement of the Lakeside Hotel in the 1960 New Hampshire Vacation Guide, click here.
Click here to enlarge the above postcard of the Lakeside Hotel in the 1940’s, and to see two similar postcards, plus a bonus picture of the Hotel’s 6-lane candlepin bowling alley
Click here to enlarge the above postcard of the Lakeside Hotel circa 1950
Lakeside Hotel guests were able to access a private beach at the end of Baker Avenue. When the Hotel was sold in 1986, the new owners quickly sold off the “Motel” part of the property on Baker Avenue, along with beach rights, as condominiumized units, leaving only the original Hotel building, which was then sold to a developer who transformed the Hotel into the Winnipesaukee Marketplace.
Lakeside Hotel card, early 1980s