|TYPE OF CUISINE|
|Naswa’s “Blue Bistro”||366-4341||Italian &|
|1086 Weirs Boulevard||Breakfast & Dinner|
|Liliuokalani’s||366-9323||Ice Cream||956 Weirs Boulevard||Snacks|
|Martelli’s||581-9296||Italian||630 Weirs Boulevard||Lunch & Dinner|
|Kellerhaus||366-4466||Waffles & Ice Cream||256 Endicott St North||Breakfast & Snacks|
|Looney Bin||366-2300||American||554 Endicott St North||Lunch & Dinner|
|Richardson’s Ice Cream||366-4377||Ice Cream||593 Endicott St North|
|Tamarack||366-9300||American||691 Endicott St North||Lunch & Dinner|
|High Octane Saloon||527-8116||American||1072 Watson Rd||Lunch & Dinner|
|Akwa Marina Beach Bar||968-5533||American||95 Centenary Ave||Lunch & Dinner|
HISTORY OF EATING PLACES
Below, in the 1940s-1950s, the Rose-Edward Lodge and Cabins were located where the Akwa Marina Beach Bar is today. This postcard shows the Main Lodge and two of the cabins.
Below is the dining room of the Laconia Tavern, which was the main hotel in downtown Laconia for nearly all of the 20th century.
Why are there so many Chinese restaurants in the area?
The Lakes Region has an interesting connection to China, which might explain the preponderance of Chinese dining locations to be found in the area. Madame Chiang Kai-shek and her relatives spent time in the 1950s at a place known as Spruce Acres on Wolfeboro Neck. That was after the Chinese Communists, led by Mao Zedong, defeated the Nationalist Chinese in 1949. Madame Chiang, the wife of Nationalist Chinese President Chiang Kai-shek, was at one time one of the most powerful women in the world, having been featured along with her husband as Time Magazine’s “Man and Woman of the Year” in 1938. She was born in 1897 and lived to 106 when she died in 2003. She was the the youngest daughter of an American-educated Methodist minister, Charlie Song, who made a fortune in banking and printing and sent all six of his children, three daughters and three sons, to be educated in America. Soong Mei-Ling, as she was originally known, had actually attended a summer camp and school in Meredith around 1912. Another sister, Ching-ling also attended the same school with her. The school was run by Harriet Moses, better known as “Aunt Hattie Moses”, and was established on Meredith Bay in 1905. The school for girls was located on Pleasant Street.