The original Music Hall at Weirs Beach was located at Endicott Rock Park. Audience members could not only enjoy the music, but they also could appreciate a nice view of the Lake. The hall was destroyed in a wind storm in 1902. The following year a new hall was built on Tower Street.
Although there seems to be grafitti written on the fencing, the writing is actually advertising for two of the popular topical analgesics of the day, Knight’s Opodeldoc and Sloan’s Liniment. A topical analgesic is an ointment rubbed on the skin to relieve muscle pain. Today, we are familiar with similar products such as Ben-Gay and Tiger Balm. Knight’s Opdeldoc, produced by S.C. Knight of South Berwick, Maine, claimed to relieve not only muscle pain, but also “fresh burns and freezes, contracted cords, lame stomach, ague in the face, spinal affections, etc.” In this sense, with its extravagant claims, it was reminiscent of the patent medicines of the time. Interestingly, Sloan’s Liniment, at the time the most popular medication of this type, is still available today! Earl S. Sloan, the entrepeneur who introduced and popularized the product, greatly expanded production in 1904 when he purchased Dr. J.A. Green’s (owner of the New Hotel Weirs from 1895-1905) former Nervura patent medicine factory in Boston.
In the landscape view below, taken from the historic Prescott Farm property, the original Music Hall can be seen in its location at what is today Endicott Rock Park. The photo was taken by F.J. Moulton circa 1895.
Later postcards (circa 1920, above; circa 1930, below) show similar views.