Variety Store & Casino: Located on Lakeside Avenue, approximately where today's "Crazy Gringos" restaurant is. From 1880 until 1917, to reach the Lakeside House from Lakeside Avenue, customers descended a stairway, then crossed over the railroad tracks (not drawn in), and ascended another stairway to the front lawn of the Lakeside House. In 1917 a steel truss bridge, which connected directly to the porch of the hotel, was built over the railroad tracks, about 30 feet north of the stairways. Profile Rock: Was located on Doe Point, location of former "Shore Path" - no longer accessible as private homeowners have blocked access. The Avenue: The view looking North on what is now Weeks Street. Notice the "Lakeside Cafe" to the right of the Hotel. Depot Looking South: Shows the 2nd railroad station and the NH Veterans Association HQ. Main Illustration: The The illustration shows the Pine Grove on the front lawn, which remained until the Hurricane of 1938. The old steamer Mount Washington passes by far out on the Lake.
This illustration can best be viewed at the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society museum, where an enlarged version in COLOR hangs on the wall.
Boston: D.H.Hurd & Co. Publishers, 1892. From the 1892 Town & City Atlas of New Hampshire.