This 1897 photo clearly shows the rearward extension of the main building which was torn down when the Lakeside Hotel was redeveloped into the Winnipesaukee Marketplace in 1986. This photo also clearly shows the stairway that desecended to the railroad tracks (the tracks are not visible in the photo), crossed the railroad tracks, and then ascended on the opposite bank to Lakeside Avenue. The stairway was later replaced in 1917 by a steel truss pedestrian footbridge over the railroad tracks that connected directly to the side porch of the building (where the Lakeside sign is showing in the photo).