In the late 1920's-early 1930's the proprietors of the Samoset were McIntire and Wagner. In the photo of the gasoline station below, McIntire is on the left, and Robert 'Bob' Wagner is on the right. McIntire's home was on Centenary Avenue directly across from the Samoset, and his family ran a baggage transfer service for the hotel. The sign on the station reads: Hotel Samoset • McIntire & Wagner • A Home Like Hotel • Tourists Accommodated • Information Here.

The most likely dates for this gas station photo are from 1927-1931. The gas station was expanded, and became the Half Moon Tea Room, from around 1932-1935. In 1936, the Tea Room was moved down the street to form the core of the new Half Moon building. With the Tea Room gone, construction could proceed on a new Weirs Beach fire station, which remained here from 1936 until 1984.

Partly visible on the right of the photo is a public restroom, which co-existed with the fire station for some time. The restroom is shown on a 1948 tourist map and was probably torn down sometime in the 1950's.



Below is a color photo of the Half Moon Tea Room, probably dating to 1936. Inexpensive color photography for still cameras did not exist until the advent of Kodachrome film in 1936.





Above, letterhead of the Half Moon Tea Room

Below, a 1922 photo of McIntire's home on Centenary Avenue. The house is still there today, but the decorative molding is long gone.



Front and back brochure cover, and dining information.





A cropped and magnified version of the above photo.



Around the beginning of the 20th century, the Chateau de Lis hotel was built.



The hotel was expanded and renamed the Hotel Samoset around the mid 1920's. The photo below shows that while the tallest part of the original structure remained, a 2-story wing had been added to the left and a 2-story wing and a 1-story parlor had been added to the right of the main building. The separate building on the left of the photo may or may not have been part of the Hotel.



A cropped and magnified version of the above photo.



The Hotel Samoset was located between Allan and Morris Avenues, right off of Centenary Avenue, in the Methodist Campground section of Weirs Beach. Morris Avenue separated the main hotel, on the right in the photo below, from the 6-room Annex, on the left.



A close examination of the above two photos seems to indicate that the first photo seems to have been taken downhill from the building looking up Morris Avenue, while the second photo was taken uphill of the building looking down Morris Avenue.

A view of the main entrance to the Hotel.



On December 29, 1931, the Annex (below) was destroyed by fire. The main hotel continued in operation until 1954. Later, it came to be known as Locke's Manor. It burned down on March 18, 1984.



Samoset was the first Native American to make contact with the Pilgrims. There was a camp in the nearby town of Gilford called Samoset. Today, there is a condominium development of the same name on the site of the former camp. Today, there are also many other places, businesses, and organizations named after the former Indian chief.